Who would have thought that cans could be a very important export product for any country, especially for Latvia. Surprisingly, one of the largest metal processing companies in The Baltic States with specialization in manufacturing of metal cans, fire extinguishers and fire extinguisher cylinders comes from Latvia. Its name is Valpro. VALRPO Ltd. is one of Latvia’s first and most important export companies with 93% of its manufactured products being exported to more than 25 countries. The products manufactured by VALPRO Ltd. Catch the attention of many clients and big corporations around the world in the civil and the military sectors in Europe, Australia, North America, Asia and Africa because they focus on creating high quality products for the successful long-term presence.
Valpro has established the mission of providing the highest quality metal products and services locally and internationally and they do so by constantly working towards the goal of being the strongest industry leaders and ensuring constant development, collaboration and stability, to maintain clients and user satisfaction, and motivation of employees. To fulfil their mission and their vision statements they focus on core values such as their employees because they pay very close attention to job satisfaction, motivation and performance; quality because they place high responsibility on manufactured and offered products and responsibility for social and economic environment and concerns regarding work safety and ecological environment; clients because at Valpro they are convinced that good relationships are the key to good cooperation and future opportunities and that listening to clients is key because it helps the company manufacture new products and improve existing ones; development because Valpro is convinced that constant growth and development are the keys to promote productiveness, improve quality, develop proficiency and search new growth and collaboration capabilities; and stability which is the value that has kept them alive for so many years and that aims at working with responsibility in order to create stable and secure business operations for the company.
Their story goes back to 72 years ago, when in 1944 , in October, six employees were repairing different technical machinery to help establish the initiative of Executive Committee Chairman of Valmiera District Rihards Gredzens, of having the Valmiera District integrated plant based on the former A.Taurins’s iron works and machine-shop located at Krasta Street. Then in the 1950s the machine-shop was established and the first attempts in the commercial manufacturing (belt conveyers, fire extinguisher inventory) were made to see how production for mass requirement would go. Then, in 1955 the mass-production approach was introduced and the First OP-3 fire extinguishers were manufactured with a production volume of 2,500 units per month. By the year 1959 engineers had already modified the OP-3 fire extinguishers and created a new model, the OP-5 and had started to manufacture 20 L fuel cans.
In the next 30 years the company would see an amazing growth and some changes as the Valmiera District integrated plant was divided, and as a result the Valmiera Metal manufacture plant and the Valmiera Furniture factory were established. In that same decade, the 60s and starting the 70s, in July Valmiera Metal manufacture plant was renamed as Valmiera Fire extinguishing device plant (VuieR)and they started to manufacture 20 L fuel cans for export to Sweden, Finland and Arab countries.
As for the 90s, SC “Valpro Corp” started privatization of VUIeR to become what it is today. Their main manufacturing products were central heating boilers, fuel cans, fire extinguishers and different hardware. In 1998 The privatization of the company was completed and as a result, the new owner was established as “SC Valpro Corp.”, a Latvian-Australian joint venture that would see significant reconstruction operations which involved implementation of new technologies and equipment. As for 1999 the number of employees was 185 and the quality management system certificate ISO 9001-1994 was acquired.
10 years later, more than 70 variations of fire extinguisher cylinders were manufactured, 320,000 units were manufactured per year and Export reached 95%. In 2005 the company participated in “Interschutz 2005” exhibition that was held in Hanover. It was a show to remember. In the exhibition the company presented its newly designed fire extinguisher which used oval powder and attracted a great deal of attention from visitors and field professionals, they designed a tower designed for firemen competitions and participated in the Baltic States open firemen championship. In 2008 the last name came to be as “Valpro Corp” was reorganized as “VALPRO” Ltd.
Finally, Since 2007 VALPRO Ltd. has provided periodic inspection for their products as a post sales approach to gain and retain clients, which proves that this 70 year old company still has many things to offer and many countries to enter with their high quality, well-known cans and fire extinguishers.